Now, let's test out the VIAbility of a few different pieces of media.
Remember again, that for a piece of information to be news, it needs to have VIA:
- Subject to a journalistic process of VERIFICATION
- ...for which an INDEPENDENT individual or organization
- ...is directly ACCOUNTABLE
Ok, let's start...
Example 1 - Is Your Child Constantly Sick?
Assess the VIAbility of this story:
After watching this video, ask yourself:
- How are the claims made in the story verified?
- Is the outlet presenting this story independent? How so?
- Is that outlet accountable for the information presented here? How could you hold them accountable?
See our thoughts on this video on the next page.
Example 2 - The Atlantic & the Church of Scientology
Assess the VIAbility of this piece of content.
After reading, ask yourself:
- Is it evident that the claims made here have attempted to be verified?
- Is the outlet an independent one?
- Is the outlet accountable for the information made in this piece? How do you know?
See our take on the next page.